<span class="highlight">80</span> <span class="highlight">Series</span> transmission question

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 07, 2009 at 18:58
ThreadID: 73597 Views:1943 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
To any 80 series cruiser auto transmission experts.
I have a 96 TD Auto.
Auto changes up and down gears perfectly.
2 weeks ago when pulling up, just before I stopped the auto shuddered and you could feel it clunk when you stop. Every time the lock up clutch has engaged it seems to take ages to disengage when stopping.
I had the lock up clutch solonoid replaced, oil changed and kick down pressures adjusted but it still does.
It does it in 3rd and overdrive. Overdrive works perfectly. The oil was crystal clean and the pan was clean.
Could it be an ECU problem?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Scott
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Nov 07, 2009 at 20:00

Saturday, Nov 07, 2009 at 20:00
Scott,

It might be suffering from "blacktopitis".
This is caused by lack of dirt road driving, river crossings and steep hill climbs.
The fix, you might have to get out n' about.

Sorry I can not be any more help.

Wayne
AnswerID: 390393

Follow Up By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Saturday, Nov 07, 2009 at 21:11

Saturday, Nov 07, 2009 at 21:11
LOL Wayne.
Funny thing is it just got back from the dirt up around Coffs Harbour.
I wish it was that simple but I might try that excuse with the missus.
I will drop in and say gday next time I go past your place and see your truck there.

Scott
FollowupID: 658159

Reply By: dbish - Sunday, Nov 08, 2009 at 10:56

Sunday, Nov 08, 2009 at 10:56
Hi Scott My experience is with Ford Falcon auto trans, Have experienced similar problem with torqe converter lockup not releasing, in this case we replaced a faulty valve in the trans which fixed it. I see you have had that done, normaly for the torque converter to be activated ther needs to be power fed to the lockup solenoid, you would need a circuit diagram to check if the power was actually being removed from the solenoid when you slow down. If it is then you may have a prob in the torque converter. Hope this makes sense. Daryl
AnswerID: 390452

Sponsored Links